1.Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), a Government of India Enterprise under the Ministry of Defence was established in Hyderabad in the year 1970 to be a manufacturing base for guided missiles and allied defence equipment. Nurtured by a pool of talented engineers drawn from DRDO and aerospace industries, BDL began its journey by producing the 1st Generation Anti -Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) - the French SS11B1. This product was a culmination of a Licence Agreement the Government of India entered into with Aerospatiale, French Republic. BDL has three manufacturing units, located at Kanchanbagh, Hyderabad, T.S., Bhanur, Sangareddy district, T.S. and Visakhapatnam, A.P. Two New Units are planned at Ibrahimpatnam, Ranga Reddy district, T.S. and Amravathi, Maharashtra.
2. On successful completion of the SS11B1 project, BDL embarked on production of 2nd generation ATGMs – the French MILAN - 2 and Russian Konkurs. These projects were taken up under licence production with technical collaboration from M/s. Euromissile, France and M/s. KBP, Tula, Russia respectively. These products covered a broad spectrum of the requirements of the Indian Army’s infantry and mechanized infantry forces. The productionization process at BDL with a phase-wise transfer-of-technology, laying emphasis on indigenization, has enabled its engineers to gain deep insight into the design concepts and system engineering of ATGMs.
3. BDL has been working closely with the user as well as the OEM in the upgradation of ATGMs to the class of tandem warhead ATGMs. MILAN - 2 has been upgraded to MILAN - 2T with a tandem warhead to defeat the ERA fitted to modern battle tanks. Similarly, Konkurs ATGM has been upgraded to Konkurs - M ATGM with a tandem warhead, with a similar advantage. This has led to providing more teeth to the soldier on the battlefield and mechanized infantry forces.
4. The lead taken by the Nation to develop indigenous, sophisticated and contemporary missiles through the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP), gave BDL an opportunity to be closely involved in the programme, wherein it was identified as the Prime Production Agency. This opened up a plethora of opportunities to assimilate advanced manufacturing and programme management technologies and skills. BDL rose to the needs of the Concurrent Engineering Approach adopted by DRDO in IGMDP, to become an important and competent partner in these projects.
5. BDL, a Miniratna Category - I Public Sector Enterprise, is amongst a few industries in the world having capabilities to produce state-of-the-art guided weapon systems. The Company is poised to enter new avenues of manufacturing, covering a wide range of weapon systems such as Surface-to-Air Missiles, Air Defence Systems, Heavy Weight Torpedoes, Air-to-Air Missiles etc., making it a world-class defence equipment manufacturer. BDL has also entered into the area of refurbishment and life extension of missiles.
6. BDL is proud to be the lead integrator of the Akash Weapon System (AWS). The Indian Army had placed orders worth Rs.14,180 crore on BDL, during the year 2011 for the supply of the Akash Weapon System. The AWS was inducted into the Indian Army on 05 May, 2015. With the productionization of Akash, India joins an elite club of only a few countries in the world, capable of producing Surface-to-Air Missiles.
7. Presently, BDL has three manufacturing units. The first unit is co-located with its Corporate Office at Hyderabad, the second one in Sangareddy District of Telangana and the third unit, which is dedicated exclusively to the manufacture of underwater weapons, is at Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
8. As a part of the expansion plan, BDL is setting up two more units - one at Amravati District in Maharashtra and another one at Ibrahimpatnam in Telangana state.
9. At its Amravati Unit, BDL plans to produce Very Short Range Air Defence Missile (VSHORAD). The unit is spread over an area of about 530 acres.
10. At its Ibrahimpatnam Unit, the Company plans to set up a Surface to Air Missile Defence Project. The unit is spread over an area of about 630 acres. The test facilities required for SAMs, ATGMs are being established to meet the future requirements.
11. Most of the products of the company are single shot devices, which call for utmost quality and reliability. Quality Policies have been laid out to achieve this objective with an emphasis on ensuring quality right from basic input levels till the realization of the final product.
12. MILAN, AKASH Divisions and BHANUR Unit of BDL have been certified for AS 9100D Aerospace Quality Management System. Design & Engineering, CP-IGMP and Electronics Division have been certified for ISO 9001: 2008 Quality Management System. Information Technology Division has been certified with ISO 9001: 2015 Quality Management System. Electronics Labs of MILAN Division and BHANUR Unit have been accredited with ISO / IEC 17025: 2005 (NABL) Certification in the discipline of Electro-Technical calibration of Electronic Measuring Equipment. Material Testing Lab of Bhanur Unit has been accredited with ISO / IEC 17025: 2005 (NABL) Certification in the field of testing.
13. All three Units of BDL viz., Kanchanbagh, Bhanur and Visakhapatnam Units have been certified with ISO : 14001:2015 Environmental Management System.
14. Nurturing human resources is seen as one of the primary objectives of the company. The organisation has a well established in-house Training Centre where training is imparted to the employees and executives on a wide spectrum of areas in tune with their training needs.
15. Cost Reduction has always been one of the thrust areas at BDL. Several cost reduction measures have been initiated by the company to pursue cost reduction. The pursuit has resulted into reduction in production cost, benchmarking of productivity norms and modernization of management system.
16. Promotion of industrial safety, health and environment cleanliness is meticulously followed by BDL and all statutory obligations are complied with. Industrial Safety and Explosive Safety Committee meetings are held at regular intervals for reviewing and monitoring safety aspects. BDL has been maintaining a clean and green environment at all its manufacturing units. Clean surroundings, green environment, stringent pollution control measures, Zero effluent discharge, energy conservation, systematic management and disposal of hazardous and other forms of wastes and several other endeavors have become a part of the well established environmental management system.
17. Led by luminaries like Dr Krishna Menon, Dr Raja Ramanna, Air Vice Marshal Dastur and a host of other brilliant scientists and engineers in the past, the Company is presently headed by Cmde Siddharth Mishra (Retd.), as the Chairman and Managing Director.
18. The quest for technological excellence has been the guiding principle of the organization and living up to the sobriquet, ‘THE FORCE BEHIND PEACE ’.
In recognition of its outstanding work and supplying of quality products, the company and its personnel have been consistently winning National awards in a wide variety of areas as detailed hereunder:-
|Skoch BSE Award for Business Excellence||2017|
|Greentech HR Award, 2015 for the best HR Strategy||2015|
|Raksha Mantri Award for Excellence||2015|
|Golden Peacock Environment Management Award||2015|
|Indian Chamber of Commerce - PSE Excellence Award for Operational Performance Excellence||2015|
|Greentech Environmental Award – Silver Award in Engineering Sector for outstanding achievement in Environment Management||2014|
|Raksha Mantri’s Award for Excellence for Indigenization||2013|
|Global HR Excellence Awards 2011 – 2012 – Innovative HR Practices Award||2012|
|Raksha Mantri’s Award for Excellence||2010|
Last Updated/Reviewed Date: 15/05/2020